Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The Gym Reduces Stress


If you want to reduce stress, get to the gym! Life can really test our resolve. Sometimes, we feel like we will explode from the pressures created by work, family, finances, etc. Everyone needs a way to let off some steam. The gym is a perfect place to start.

No time for the gym!

I cannot tell you how important physical activity is for reducing stress. I learned this lesson in college and I have used it ever since. During finals week, freshman year, I got myself into an academic jam. I had gotten behind in my classes. My grades were not what they should’ve been. I needed to do very well on my finals. I was stressed. I knew I didn’t have time to do the studying necessary and complete the papers I needed to write. This was bad.

A friend stopped by my dorm room as I was preparing to head to the library. He asked me to go to the gym with him. I explained my situation. He said the workout would do me some good. In a moment of procrastinating weakness, I agreed to go. I am so glad I did!

Lesson learned

I went to the gym and worked out for an hour. I was so stressed. I worked out my stress in that gym, and I pushed extremely hard. By the time I was finished, I was exhausted. I could barely walk back to the dorm. Great, I thought, I just lost an hour, and now I’m too tired to focus. Ah, but I was wrong.

I got a shower and ate dinner. I walked back to my dorm room and looked at my books. I noticed something strange. The stress was gone! I looked at my stack of work and thought, OK. What’s first! I felt amazing. I had new-found energy and focus.

 A new routine

I had such a productive evening with my schoolwork, that I decided to workout each day before studying. It worked like a charm! I brought all my grades up and learned the greatest lesson of all. I learned that taking time to hit the gym real hard, calmed me, and gave me renewed energy and a wonderful new attitude.

(Training hard this way releases endorphins into the system. This creates a very relaxed and euphoric feeling.)

These days, I like to make a habit of getting to the gym regularly. Plus, now I know, when things really get to me, all I need to do to get my focus back, is train the stress out of my system. Give it a try. I think you’ll like the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is Losing Weight so Difficult?

You can achieve your fitness goals. If you want or need, to lose weight, I know you can succeed. If you have struggled in the past,...