Friday, January 18, 2019

Your Workouts Are Misguided


Well then, that sounded harsh, didn’t it? I realize how this sounds, so let me clarify. This post is not intended for everyone. It is intended for those of you who are working hard, being dedicated, trying to lose weight and get that great mid-section, but are having little or no success. I write this because I care. I write this because I see people at the gym, every single day, doing all the wrong things. These workouts are ineffective for the task-at-hand.

When I see someone with a 60-inch waist doing crunches, I cringe. I see people who are 30, 50, 100 lbs. overweight doing “toning” exercises. These exercises are for putting the final touches on a trim, fit physique. If you have read my previous posts, you know that I discuss things repeatedly. Well, until we all get on the same page, and are ready to move on, I feel obligated to keep hounding folks with the information that they so desperately need.

WHY are these workouts ineffective?

Now, I know many of you are reading this and thinking, “Wait a minute. I read this article, book, blog post, etc. written by a successful bodybuilder, athlete, fitness model, etc. They said that this is what they do, and they look great!” Fair enough. Let me explain.

As I mentioned above, these are fine-tuning exercises. I have no doubt that the person who wrote the article, uses these exercises effectively. I have done so myself. However, you need to understand that your current situation, and the situation in which this person used these methods, may be very different.

Let’s look at it this way, all exercises are simply tools we use to do a job. Even if you have a great tool and expert advice on how to use that tool, you still need to ask yourself a very basic question. Is this the right tool for the job? There is a reason you don’t use a power drill to bang nails into wood, or a chainsaw to cut your ham sandwich. It’s not the quality of the tool, it’s the application. Always use the right tool for the job.

What are YOU doing wrong?

You may be doing nothing wrong, but if you are trying to trim your waist by doing multiple versions of crunches, or other ab-tightening exercises, you are making things far tougher than they need to be. Exercises created to “target” the abdominal muscles will strengthen those muscles. However, these exercises are extremely inefficient for stripping away the body fat which covers your abs. Also, these exercises are tough, even when you are fit.

The reason I get so upset when I see people doing these exercises is, I feel like a carpenter watching someone try to knock down a concrete wall with a ball-peen hammer. They work, and struggle and suffer, but get nowhere.

What to do

If you want to make your waist-trimming workouts more efficient and effective, there are some easy changes you can make. Stop working your abs. There is no such thing as target training. (This I discuss in many posts and I go into this more in my book as well.) Target training is an attempt to work fat off of a particular part of the body by training that body part. This doesn’t work. Nature, not you, will decide what fat will be burned for energy to fuel your workouts.

That being the case, what you need to do, is train to burn as many calories as possible. That way, you will become leaner overall. No matter where the fat is burned off of first, eventually, if you keep at it, your abs will be uncovered and revealed for the world to see!

What exercises burn the most calories?

This is the ultimate secret (although I share it constantly). The secret to burning massive amounts of calories in record time is, train your legs with heavy weight! Yes. Do this. Trust me.

The first thing women say is, “I don’t want my legs to get bulky.” I understand. If you do this right, they will NOT get bulky. In fact, most women who follow my methods, find that their legs get smaller!!!

This explanation is a bit involved. It is also the main theme of my book. If you need those extra details, and the exercises, and the routines and so much more, it’s all in the book. You can also simply keep checking back to this blog. Read over the other posts. You’ll find what you need. If there is something you would like me to address, please feel free to leave a comment below.

Thank you and happy training!

Click Image to Learn More
Available in Both Kindle and Paperback Versions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is Losing Weight so Difficult?

You can achieve your fitness goals. If you want or need, to lose weight, I know you can succeed. If you have struggled in the past,...