Sunday, January 20, 2019

Why You Should Build Strength First


If you are new to the gym, or have returned after a long absence (Like me!), getting traction in your workouts can be challenging. What I have noticed is, this challenge is as much psychological as it is physical. No one feels great about dragging their unfit physique into a gym full of hardbodies. (By the way, thinking that everyone at the gym is fit, is all in your head. Most feel the same as you. You’re in good company.)

I know it feels like a chore to “force yourself” to go to the gym. I understand that you may feel bad about the way you look (I did, anyway). I know how hard it is to do the work when you feel out of shape. You tire easily. The weights seem heavy and foreboding. The workout seems so tough, and ineffective. After all, you look in the mirror and at the scale every day and you seem to be getting nowhere. Right?

If what I described above sounds familiar, I understand. I was sharing my own experience with you. Now, I want to share with you, how I learned to overcome these feelings to get to a place where I look forward to going to the gym. I want to show you how I went from feeling bad about myself, to getting into great shape and feeling good about the journey. You can do this too, with a simple change in your approach and perception.

The value of strength-training

I share this one concept all the time, cardio exercises are good for you, but they are not the way to go to burn fat and build a shapely body. Before anyone gets upset with me, let me say yes, cardio exercises are good for you. These exercises are good for overall health and fitness and they do burn calories.

That being said, if you want to lose more than 20 lbs. I would suggest putting cardio on the back-burner for the moment. If you want to learn more about burning calories, I discuss this in other posts. Feel free to check them out. For now, I want to concentrate on using strength-training to kick-start your new routine.

The great value of strength training for newcomers and the newly returned, is twofold. The first benefit is physical. Strength-building workouts, especially in the beginning, are not going to be long workouts. This is good when you are just getting started. You get in, do your thing and go. Also, those who are not used to working out will notice something interesting. Your strength will increase rather quickly. This brings us to our second benefit, the psychological boost.

“Hey, look what I can do!”

The psychological benefit of early strength-training is as simple as it is effective. As Tony Robbins likes to point out, “Humans are happiest when they are making progress.” I find this to be true, and the easiest way to make real and measurable progress in the gym is by building strength.

You may not see the results on the scale, right away. It may take a bit of time to see the changes in the mirror. But, if you want to see real, and measurable progress almost immediately, you will find this progress in your strength.

In short-order, if you make the effort to do so, you will see rapid improvement in your strength. Now, I realize that many of you joined the gym to lose weight, not build strength. I get that. However, in order to achieve your fitness goals, you will need to work hard, consistently, over time. This will take commitment on your part. It will also take a strong, muscle base which can pull you through the tough workouts. It will also require a positive mental attitude. Both of these elements will be improved as you see your strength grow.

Each week, as you go through your workouts, add more weight, more repetitions and even more sets. Do this a little at a time. You WILL impress yourself. You will be amazed at what you can do. Write down your exercises, weights used, and number of sets. Start this from day one. Each week you will be pleased and encouraged at your progress. After 2 months, look back at what you were capable of during the first week. You will be blown away! It happens that fast.

What happens as I get stronger?

Here’s the cool thing. At first, you may not see much movement on the scale. That’s ok. This is because, even as you burn fat, you are gaining muscle. What you WILL notice, and this surprises everyone, is how your clothes will fit.

You see, as you lose fat and gain muscle, you shrink. Yep! This is because muscle is denser than fat and therefore takes up less space. This is also why muscle doesn’t jiggle, like fat. As your body shrinks, your confidence will grow. You will begin to love the gym and want to go more often, stay longer and work harder.

I know all of this from experience. I love what the gym does for me and I want you to love it too. You will. Get there and get stronger. Everything you want to do will flow comfortably from your newfound strength, even adding cardio exercises!

Now, Go Get ‘Em!
Click Image to Learn More

Available in Both Kindle and Paperback Versions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is Losing Weight so Difficult?

You can achieve your fitness goals. If you want or need, to lose weight, I know you can succeed. If you have struggled in the past,...